The Stronger California Network will launch the 2017 agenda in March. Check back for our 2017 priorities!
2016 Legislative Agenda
Ensure Fair Pay and Job Opportunities
- Pay Equity for Women in the Workplace – AB 1676.
- Bill updates: signed into law by Gov. Brown on September 30
- 2016 Domestic Worker Bill of Rights — SB 1015.
- Bill updates: signed into law by Gov. Brown on September 12
- Minimum Wage Increase and Indexing – SB 3.
- Bill updates: signed into law by Gov. Brown on April 4
- Apprenticeship Programs: Building and Construction Trades – AB 2288.
- Bill updates: signed into law by Gov. Brown on September 27
Expand Access to Affordable, Quality Early Childhood Care and Education
- Child Care Budget Request
- The Stable Child Care Assistance Bill – AB 2150.
Support Family-Friendly Workplaces
- Reliable Scheduling Act –SB 878.
- Expand Paid Family Leave – AB 908.
- Bill updates: signed into law by Gov. Brown on April 11
- Leave Protection for Working Parents –SB 654
Build Economic Security by Addressing Poverty
- Repeal CalWORKs Maximum Family Grant – Budget Request and SB 23.
- Supplemental Security Benefits Budget Request
Highlights from 2015
Legislative wins, including passage of:
- The California Fair Pay Act, the strongest state equal pay law in the country (SB 358-Jackson)
- A bill expanding the Kin Care Law to allow employees to use a portion of their sick time to address family care emergencies or when a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking (SB 579-Jackson)
- An Earn and Learn bill to fund high wage job training (SB 342-Jackson)
Budget wins addressing poverty and workforce development, including:
- The establishment of a refundable state earned income tax credit for low-income families (SB 38-Liu and AB 43-Stone)
- Funding for basic skills training at community colleges to support underprepared students (AB 770-Irwin)
- Funding of $265 million into child care and preschool programs